Taiwanese TV show, One Million Star, is a singing competition and Taiwan’s version of American Idol.
Show: One Million Star (超級星光大道, chāo jí xīng guāng dà dào)
Genre: Talent Contest
Language: Chinese (Mandarin)
First Aired: 2007
What Is One Million Star?
Taiwanese TV show One Million Star, also translated as Superstar Avenue, is a weekly two hour show featuring men and women who want to be singers. One Million Star is hosted by Matilda Tao (陶晶瑩).
Each season of the Taiwanese TV show begins with hundreds of hopefuls auditioning for one of 100 spots on One Million Star. Each week, contestants sing different song types like pop, jazz and oldies and compete in performance-related contests until the contestants are reduced to 100, then 50, then 20, and finally 10. The 10 finalists are called the Million Star Gang (星光幫).
Once there are six finalists, they sing songs each week. Instead of being eliminated, One Million Star contestants accumulate points. A perfect score is 20 points.
The finalists are judged and guided by a five-member panel including Jen Yuan (袁惟仁), Kay Huang (黃韻玲), and Roger Cheng (鄭建國). The other two judges are guest judges. Guest judges change weekly. The person with the most points at the end of the season wins NT$1 million and a record contract.
Where Can One Million Star Be Seen?
One Million Star airs 10pm to midnight Fridays on China Television Company (CTV) and on the One Million Star Blog:
Why You Should Know One Million Star:
One Million Star has taken unknown singers and turned them into superstars in Taiwan and Asia. Former contests and champions have gone on to release chart-topping records and to hold sold-out concert tours. Season 1 winner James Lin has released two albums, Mystery (神秘嘉賓) and Senses Around (感官/世界). Season 2 champion Yuming Lai is in the rock band Y2J (神木與瞳) with seventh place finalist Jane Huang (黃美珍).
One Million Star Episode Guide:
- Season 7: Premiered: August 2010. Winner: TBD
- Star Legend Season: Premiered: May 2010. Winner: Janice Yan (閻奕格)
- Season 6: Premiered: November 2009. Winner: Hu Xia (胡夏). Season 6 starts with 123 contestants including several repeat contenders who were eliminated in previous seasons. Other hopefuls include contestants related to celebrities, including comedian He Yi Hang’s (賀一航) son and season 1’s third runner-up Afalean Lu’s (盧學叡) cousin.
- Season 5: Premiered: April 2009. Winner: Dennis Sun (孫自佑)
- Season 4: Premiered: October 2008. Winner: Queenie Fang (方宥心)
- Season 3: Premiered: February 2008. Winner: Lala Shu (徐佳瑩). Season 3 was marked with tragedy when second runner-up Li Chu-ning (黎礎寧) later committed suicide.
- Season 2: Premiered: July 2007. Winner: Yuming Lai (賴銘偉). 28 episodes. Unlike season 1, the women dominate the top 10. Nicknamed Million Star Class 2, several of the top female contestants have gone on to release solo and group albums.
- Season 1: Premiered: January 2007. Winner: James “Yoga” Lin (林宥嘉). 26 episodes. Winner James Lin wants to drop out after his friend, Eddie Tsai (蔡政霖) is eliminated. Lin scores five perfect scores in a row to snag first place. The judges nickname Lin and finalists Judy Chou (周定緯), Peter Pan (潘裕文), and Stanly Hsu (許仁杰) the Four Princes of Superstar Avenue (星光四少).