Chinese New Year includes two weeks of celebration with most activities taking place the day before (New Year's Eve), the first day (New Year's Day) and the last day (Lantern Festival). On the Lantern Festival, colorful lanterns are placed outside homes and launched into the night sky. Ecah color corresponds to a particular wish. See lantern colors and meanings.
Many revelers enjoy writing riddles or wishes on the lanterns before sending them airborne. Here's what to write on your lantern to insure your wishes come true.
- 步步高昇 (bù bù gāoshēng): Onward and upward
- 身體健康 (shēntǐ jiànkāng): Good Health
- 心想事成 (xīn xiǎng shì chéng): All wishes come true)
- 笑口常開 (xiào kǒu cháng kāi): Be happy and carry laughter all the time
- 事業蒸蒸日上開 (shìyè zhēng zhēngrì shàngkāi): Business will grow and get better
- 萬事大吉 (wànshìdàjí): Everything will be lucky and go smoothly
- 事事如意、心想事成 (shì shì rúyì, xīn xiǎng shì chéng)： Things will happen as you wish
- 金榜題名 (jīnbǎng tímíng): Pass an entrance exam and get enrolled in a school
- 家和萬事興 (jiā hé wànshì xīng): Harmonous family and prosperous life
- 工作順利 (gōngzuò shùnlì)： Work smoothly,
- 早日找到如意郎君 (zǎorì zhǎodào rúyì láng jūn): Quickly find Mr. Right
- 賺錢發大財 (zhuànqián fā dà cái): Make a fortune